Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A New Sign for Robin's Egg

I have found the BEST shop to sell my wares -- Robin's Egg in Milford, NH.  You walk in and feel right at home.  And Robin, the owner, wouldn't want it any other way.  All the vendors make it feel like a community and it's such a joy just to be there.  

At a recent dealer meeting, it was discussed that the sign for the business did not truly reflect what was sold in the shop.  We were a lot more than just an antiques and collectibles store.  And the light blue color would often blend with the skyline and we felt the sign just washed into the background.



Before I could control myself, my hand shot up and I volunteered to make the new one.  Two actually -- one for each side.  **gulp**  And so the process began.

We decided to keep the light blue, the "Robin's Egg" lettering and the phone number.  So, I would use all the space in the middle to add the new wording.

Luckily, if I cut a piece of 8' X 4' plywood in half, a 4' X 4' piece would fit perfectly over that space, which was cost effective.  So, cut it in half I did.


And then I put on layers of primer.


Decided after that I wanted to round the edges, so I cut them and primed again.


Not only did the sign no longer reflect the personality of the shop, but Robin had changed her logo.  And I had the perfect spot to add the logo to the sign.  I mean, what's a sign without it's logo?!? I took her graphic, enlarged it with my handy-dandy projected, and cut it on wood.



 I then used a variety of colors to get the birdy's nest just right.  Nests, as there are two sides.


Now comes the part where I cursed this project.  After painting the signs with the font color (black), I started the painstaking process of adhering the contact paper stencils to the board.  I use this method all the time, but for some reason, the contact paper was not wanting to stick to the paint.  I wished I had punched myself in the head rather than raise my hand that day.  But eventually I got it done.  Both signs.


I chose a very bright green as the top coat and added layers of exterior urethane.  As you can see, this baby won't blend into the horizon anymore.


I feel this sign better reflects what we, as a community of dealers, can offer our customers.  And I can blind you in the process.  ;)






Making this sign was like having a baby; you soon forget all the pain and want to do it again.  

Have a fabulous day,

Debbie



8 comments:

  1. Wonderful job! I hope they a;l appreciate it!

    I got "stuck" painted sign for a Train Depot and museum. I wasn't even asked if I wanted the project and it was voted on by the City Council and what they were [paying me! The signs lasted 8 years. Right by the highway and the train in Oklahoma wind. They actually turned out pretty good.

    What a process!!! Getting the old ladies to agree on one of the designs was a feat in itself!

    Thanks for sharing!

    <><
    http://ChristieCottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sign! She must be very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've just found your site. I love it! You've given me some great ideas. :-)
    Do you use some sort of waterproof coating to make the signs weatherproof?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article provided valuable insights on the topic. Breast Pump I appreciate the author's well-researched and articulate approach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I really enjoyed reading this blog, it explained everything so clearly and made it easy for me to understand! i also recommend this to you 2D Animation Services

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Article. You've put it wonderfully into words. The fundamental strategy is to give readers value because they will only return if they have learned anything new.Custom lapel pins enjoyed it. Thank you, and I'll tell everyone about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your insightful perspective truly shines through in every post. Tote Cowhide Purse Can't wait to see what you'll share next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is therapeutic for me. Star Jackets liked this blog and gained so much information.

    ReplyDelete